Monday, May 14, 2007

It´s a season now

Asparagus, ‘the queen of vegetables’, is highly prized for its delicate taste. The asparagus season usually runs from 1 May to 21 June, so now it is the right time for enjoy it.

Asparagus, a member of the lily family, originated in the eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor , wild and cultivated varieties were popular with Greeks and Romans in the first century AD . Due delicate flavour and diuretic properties asparagus has been used as a culinary vegetable. The shoots are usually boiled or steamed and served with sauce hollandaise, melted butter or olive oil and Parmesan cheese . I like it grilled over charcoal grill , wrapped in slice of bacon.

Asparagus contains more folic acid than any other vegetable. Asparagus is also low in calories, no fat, no cholesterol, very low on sodium, but rich in fibre, potassium, thiamine, vitamins A, C, and B6, and glutathione, which is a powerful antioxidant. One of the richest sources of rutin, a drug which strengthens capillary walls. If you have never tried asparagus before, you should try it , you know : It´s a season now !

Drawing done in watercolor and ink-liner inside daily sketchbook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mhhh.. I like asparagus. And now that I've seen your great drawing, I'm longing for it.

caseytoussaint said...

I've been eating tons of asparagus, but you just gave me craving. I like it grilled too, but have never tried it with bacon. I love your drawing - it's very well designed.