Friday, September 29, 2006

Illustration Friday - Quiet

This week's topic is Quiet. There are several sketches in my sketchbook which I think are related to this topic.

The first one has origin in Turkey, namely in Alanya, last year. This is old cemetery , right in the middle of the town. Next behind this wall is busy, really crowded beach, but here was divine silence. It was something I was suprised by - this quiet. You can feel it there and I feel it each time I see this picture. There was nothing, only tombs, sun-dried grass, me and quiet.
What is interesting, too, you can see different tombstones used for gender , man and woman. Done in watercolors and watercolors pencils.

Next picture depicted a small pond, somewhere in Slovakia, Tomky, Záhorie. I was on the way to my client when suddenly before my eyes was opened this view .That week, I remember, was very quick and busy, so when I see this view I was overhelmed by peace and quiet of this place. I stopped the car, take out my watercolor kit and made this quick sketch. I am sure I could not find this place today again, but this quiet stay for me in this sketch forever.

The third picture is from Thailand. It was so : When you are on the beach you are target of beach dwellers sellings various things. If you think that if you buy something and it is over - you are wrong! Like flies have some right direction to the pot of honey, these unsuccesfull (until yet) dwellers find way directly to you. I know they are poor and I don´t want be rude, but I know ,too, I cannot save the whole world. So there was some moment I found some thai newspapers you cannot read any word there and found this picture, start drawing it and there was curious thing - they sit around in semicircle and waiting in quiet until I finished . There was something strange, I am no artist who easy draw between unrelated people, but here ... there was no problem, I was concentrated on this picture. By the way, from this moment they don´t disturb me with selling (they want to see my drawings :-) )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great illustrations and I love the stories that accompany them and can relate to your experiences. I particularly like the Buddha drawing and the experience with it. I must remember that for my own holiday!
MD

Michelle Lana said...

great illos...very nice -

Heartful said...

Nice work!

Jana Bouc said...

Beautiful sketches and they do all portray silence wonderfully. I loved the story about drawing the Buddha. Art is powerful!

Anonymous said...

I love the quiet pond scene. Beautiful!

Teri said...

Each one is beautiful in its own way. I love them all and you did a wonderful job on each one.

Sue Seibert said...

Jan, they're all wonderful, but I especially like the quietness of the pond. I'll bet you worked much better with the client after you stopped.

Alison said...

Yhis is a lovely post - 3 very different sketches but all catching essence of quiet.