Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Illustration Friday - farm

My contribution to Illustration Friday´s topic of this week "farm". Here is depicted salaš , place where in Slovakia on hill´s meadows was sheeps and cattle for long period of the year, in english probably sheep-cote. Shepherd´s hut , this small wooden house, has name koliba. Shepherds (valasi) and boss (bača) not only take care for sheeps (favourite meal of bears and wolves) but in next door sheep´s chees diary make a various products from sheep´s milk, mostly bryndza , which is a special type of soft sheep cheese, absolutly necessary for slovak national meal Bryndzové halušky (some type of potato gnocchi) ! Fabulous is oštiepok, hard sheep cheese, dry smoked .
It was hard work,but adventure & romantic in one. When I was 5 years old, I run away from home because I want to be a bača :-)

The picture is pen&ink, watercolor pencils and watercolors.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

óóóó Janíčko, to je ale pekné :-)
len kde by si už taký salaš našiel v dnešnej dobe, romantik :-)

Anonymous said...

ty si usiel z domu? :D ci to som len zle si prelozila? :D inak krasna kresba :)

Sue Seibert said...

Great drawing, Jan. Thanks so much for the explaination. Bears...do you all have bears?? We haven't had bears in Texas in 100 years...until about the last 5, and they are coming back up from Mexico.

I love your drawings and hearing about your country!!

Teri said...

This is so neat Jan! So lovely and pastoral. No wonder you wanted to run away. I love hearing about your country!

Alison said...

This pic has a lovely rustic feel to it. Our equivalent to shepherds these days are drovers who lead sheep and cattle along the roadside verges when there is no grass in the fields.

Anonymous said...

Slovakia, Turkey, Czech. Republ... that's all not that far away from me! Now that I've seen your wonderful sketches, I'd love to jump in the car and start visiting!!
I need more money so I can stop working and just be an traveling sketcher :)

Anonymous said...

A nice painting, Jako!